There were several things that had to happen before the disciples were ready for Jesus to release them to ministry.
- They had to come to know and believe that Jesus was the Messiah, the One sent from God.
- They had to learn to trust Him as the Messiah.
- They had to sell out their lives to follow Jesus as the Messiah.
- They had to be trained to carry out His mission.
The final words of Jesus to His disciples before He went to the cross.
The purpose of these words was to prepare them for His death, burial, and resurrection and their future without His physical presence.
- He wants them to know for sure that His words are from the Father: John 14:10-11
- He wants them to know that they will not be alone. – That the Holy Spirit will help them remember all of His words: John 14:25-26
- He wants them to maintain their faith in the midst of all that is going to happen: John 14:29
- He wants them to live in joy: John 15:11
- He wants to keep them from falling away: John 16:1
- He wants to prepare them for their own persecution that would come as they follow him: John 16:2-4
- He wants them to know the significance of why He had to leave them: John 16:4-7
But especially He wants them to have peace
- He begins with a discussion about peace in John 14:1-4
- He ends with peace John 16:33
- He speaks of peace in the middle of this discourse John 14:27
- If our future is not settled, we cannot find peace in our present.
- Heaven is a real place, but it’s not about a place.
- Peace comes only in eternal perspectives.
- We cannot find genuine peace in this world.
- Our peace has nothing to do with what goes on in this world.
- Peace is found only in Jesus.
- In Jesus we too can overcome the world. 1 John 5:4-4
- This peace belongs to Jesus.
- Peace is a gift from Jesus.
- We can live in the presence of this peace.
- The peace the world gives is no peace at all.
- We have a choice about peace.