I. The Savior Prays for Himself (17: 1-5)
- The Faithful Son (17:1, 5)
- What He asks (17:1a, 5): “Glorify your son”;
- Why He asks (17:1b): “So he can give glory back to God.”
- The Fruitful Son (17:2-4)
- He has given eternal life to those the Father chose (17:2-3)
- He has completed his assignment (17:4)
II. The Savior Prays for His Disciples (17:6-19)
- Jesus’ report (17:6-10, 12, 14,18-19): He reviews his ministry for the disciples.
- He has revealed the Father to them (17:6-7).
- He has given the Father’s words to them (17:8, 14)
- He has prayed for them (17:9-10)
- He has kept them safe, with the exception of Judas (17:12).
- He has set himself apart for their sanctification (17:19).
- He has sent them into the world (17:18).
- Jesus’ requests (17:11, 13, 15-17)
- He asks the Father to unify them (17:11).
- He asks the Father to impart joy to them (17:13).
- He asks the Father to protect them (17:15-16.)
- He asks the Father to sanctify them (17:17).
III. The Savior Prays for His Church (17:20-26).
- He asks that the Father unify the church (17:20-21a, 22)
- He asks that the church the Son (17:21b).
- He asks that the church display God’s love (17:23).
- He asks that the church experience God’s love (17:25-26).
- He asks that the church enjoy Christ’s glory in Heaven forever (17:24).